As a general rule, initial complaints should go through the local complaints procedure of whichever institution or company provides the care. They are duty-bound to have a formal complaints procedure.

However, if you feel that this is not an appropriate option - and sometimes your concerns are such that you need to take the matter outside of the care provider's remit - you can contact the adult safeguarding or adult protection team at the person's local council. If the care is organised by the Council then you can also raise the matter with their commissioning department, and also raise a complaint under the Council's complaints procedure.

It is worth noting that, while Inspection and Regulation agencies (such as CQC in England or the Care Inspectorate in Scotland) will be interested in your concerns, they are unlikely to investigate them as they don't have a legal role in such investigations. They may instead use your information to inform their next inspection.